23 June 2010

Crazy times.

Whilst living in Penrith without a car, and without the majority of your friends around, boredom does tend to take hold and it sends you on adventures rummaging through bookcases and boxes shoved under your bed. On one particular adventure I came across my old Whitelines magazines and started flicking through the beautiful photographs and witty articles which make this magazine so special to me.

One article in issue 86 particularly interested me, called 'Will this hurt?' It questions why as beginners, or even as pros, we throw ourselves into snowboarding risking life, limb and humiliation. Eventually the answer appears. CURIOSITY.

In all outdoor adventure sports we've all had that one challenge that just pushes you completely out of your comfort zone, even when you just think about it, let alone do it. I've had plenty of these, waterfalls in kayaking, tomb stoning, and the sport that's really pushed me lately has been mountain biking. One quote from the magazine stood out from all the rest. It tells you of the experience we've all probably had; to "stand firm , shush the voice, trust in your ability to do this thing... and then go". It's something I've had to do countless times standing before a section of boardwalk, urging myself to do the obstacles that present themselves to me on the way round the ride, and to try things which I've made my nemeses.

I think this moment of quiet is incredibly important, it's that moment where you're completely in focus with what you're about to do. The curiosity can finally be answered and we won't be forever questioning why we didn't do something. We won't be tormented by questions of 'what if?'

Whitelines magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment