10 June 2010

Finnish Canoe Expedition Part 2

Pinks and oranges started to appear as the sun slowly sunk to cast an even glow on the horizon. The colours were truly incredible and I felt privileged to be there. We were all in complete awe of what was happening around us. Magnificent and alive. Away from everything.


I couldn't see! I shut my eyes and I couldn't see again. I allowed my eyes to focus on something and realised that the sun rise was so bright it blinded me. It was awesome. However, the sun rise was no where near as beautiful as the sun set. It was 4 am so I decided to fall back to sleep.

Mother kestrel woke me up bringing in the first feed for her chicks and then warded off a hooded raven. It sounded as if the water had risen and I worried, but for the first time camping in Finland I did not fear for the loss of a limb due to frost bite. I was warm and it felt incredible waking up like this.

The morning was extremely tranquil and I wanted to make the most of the morning by paddling in windless conditions, alas the boys slept in.

Back on the lake the weather was closing in which made it seem so much less spectacular than the previous day. The going was relatively tough although time seemed to fly by as Cal sprouted useless fact after useless fact.

Eventually we made it back to Kuru. The prospect of hauling the boats back up to the campus sat heavy on our shoulders and the now reappearing sun put us all in for a nap on the porch.

A really cool experience. Cheers guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment